Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Whence all the ski imagery...?


Gearing up for a holiday in the mountains.  Here I am (center, in blue) with some of the family on the slopes at Thanksgiving.  My ski name is "Ace" (to be clear, I am a terrible skier, but I talk tall!).  My sister's ski name is "Lightning Panda" because you know that pandas are known for their swiftness and agility--she's on the far right, in red.  Despite this tag, she is actually the better skier.  The best thing about skiing is that it is so difficult for me that I can think of nothing else but fall line of the slope and getting to the bottom.  It is incredibly liberating to have to focus that hard--to be truly in the now. I return to my computer refreshed and thrilled to be writing. (I've been looking for a few good reads that offer a teen's perspective on what's special about being on a mountain.  Try Justina Chen Headley's Girl Overboard.)

3 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

Wow! This pic brings back bad memories for me. LOL Not your fault, of course. I'd been skiing for a few hours and had gotten cocky thinking I was more than just a beginner. Yeah, right. Wouldn't you know it, we agreed to go down one last time before leaving and that's when it happened. I somehow flew into the air and landed on my head. I was stunned more than hurt, but was afraid to move in case I injured myself further. So, I waited for the ski patrol to come and get me with their sled. Not the best experience at the time. Luckily, I can laugh about it now. ;)

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Dawn Simon said...

Nice picture. Your family sounds fun! Being forced to focus on the now can also make you appreciate what you have--at least that's what I think.

I have something for you at my blog. :)

Stasia said...

Hi Lynette. My start as a skier was rather similar to yours. Happily, I tried again (more than a decade later) and the mountains have become a favorite place. Happy Holidays and thanks for the follow :) Stasia