Monday, February 1, 2010

Highlights of SCBWI New York Conference

1. The absolute charm and energy of Francesco Sedita, and the uncanny perspective and incisive intelligence of Julie Strauss-Gabel at the Friday writers' intensive.

2. Libba Bray's awesome keynote. Woke up this morning and promised myself to be a giraffe unafraid to jump off a cliff and then try to grow wings (that's a picture, huh?). Want to know what I'm talking about? Check out the SCBWI Team Blog.

3. Alvina Ling's eloquent and thoughtful presentation on the literary novel. And Tina Wexler's heartfelt enthusiasm and hope for writers and books in these chaotic days of publishing.

4. The astonishing number of Washington writers represented in NYC this past weekend! I was repeatedly amazed by the folks from the Western Washington chapter of SCBWI and feel extraordinarily grateful for all that they do for children's book writers in our rainy, coffee-addicted corner of the world. Seriously. Joni, Laurie and Kim (and Jolie and Jaime, and all the rest of you adcom superheros)--you are amazing!

5. Wonderful conversations with friends old and new. Thanks, Dawn, Jennifer, Nancy, Kathleen, Leah, Jim, Michelle, Angelina, Susan, Barb...

I return to my computer overwhelmed, frightened, challenged and excited but most of all more determined than ever to write my best and tell my own stories.

6 comments:

Barbara Dee said...

Thanks, Stasia, for capturing the conference so beautifully. I also enjoyed Jacqueline Woodson's lyrical speech and Peter Sis's pictorial autobiography.

And I, too, woke up today wanting to be a giraffe when I grow up!

Ronald L. Smith said...

Sounds like a great time. I was able to go to SCBWI Annual Convention in NY the year before and really loved it.

Nice blog you have here!

Dawn Simon said...

Great post, Stasia! It was such an incredible conference. And you really made it extra special. :)

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Stasia, I'm so glad you had a good time. I love NY and there is nothing better than an excellent conversation. :) Molly

Cuppa Jolie said...

Ah! Thanks, Stasia. It was so great to see you. Just trying to get a post up myself, which will include a very cute photo of you. :)

Kim Baker said...

You're so sweet! We couldn't do it without so many amazing members like you.

It was so nice to see your smiling face in NY!