Some fun facts about the cover shoot for AUDITION
(courtesy of my editor, Kendra)...
- Kate, the designer, looked at many headshots to find the perfect models for the cover. She wanted models with dance experience. She also brought a number of different outfits--black and pink ballet shoes, legwarmers, two different rehearsal skirts, and leotards in different colors, and a couple of different shirts for the guy.
- The shoot was held at a photo studio in New York City. It had a huge window facing uptown and the river--an incredible view and wonderful light. It took about two hours.
- Kendra described the basics of the story and characters to the models and tried to convey to them that it was important to have a lot of romantic tension.
- Mr. Hottie had just moved to NYC from Los Angeles a few weeks before this cover shoot.
- The girl model's story was similar in some ways to the main character, Sara, from AUDITION-- she's from a small town, she's sixteen, and she comes to New York City to pursue her dreams. But in the model's case, her mom comes with her and they just come for the day :)
I love thinking how both models, like the characters in my novel, are working to make their dreams come true. And I feel so grateful to Kendra, Kate, the models and the photo team for all the thought and effort they put into the making of this cover!