Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bookanistas: GIRL, STOLEN by April Henry

Plot without spoilers…Griffin meant to steal a car, not kidnap a girl. But in his haste to escape, he didn’t realize there was a passenger in the back seat. Cheyenne--sixteen, ill with pneumonia, and blind—has already lost her mother and her sight. She is not about to have her life stolen, too.

Of literary interest…Told from the alternating viewpoints of Cheyenne and Griffin, the book has great elements of fast-paced adventure, but is also a musing on how life can change in an instant and, perhaps, how one can make peace with people who have caused you pain. I am no authority on this but I felt the author really connected me, as the reader, to the plight of a blind protagonist, in the way she describes both Cheyenne’s use of her other senses and the limited visual experiences Cheyenne still has.

Finally, just gotta say…Cheyenne is a terrific main character, compelling and realistic. This book reads like a movie to me. I felt my heart racing as I read to the finish line!

What are the other Bookanistas lovin' this week?

Beth Revis interviews Hourglass author Myra McEntire – with giveaway

Christine Fonseca and Rosemary Clement-Moore devour Bad taste in Boys

Shannon Messenger croons over Uncommon Criminals – with giveaway

Myra McEntire invites Possession author Elana Johnson into the Fort

Shana Silver gushes about Bloodlines – with arc giveaway

Jen Hayley is mesmerized by Imaginary Girls

3 comments:

G Blechman said...

Looks good. I'll have to pick it up.

<3 Gina Blechman

Jessi said...

I'm intrigued by this one for sure!

Chey said...

I've never read a book in which a character had the same name as me. Interesting!