Monday, April 23, 2012

A Tale of Two Conferences (and a book signing)

It's Monday and I'm back at my desk after a ten days so whirlwind they're worthy of a Dickens-esque title! Here's the recap with pictures.

April 13: Joined Rosanne Parry for a wonderful Book Fan Friday event at Powell's Bookstore where we were joined by a very talented group from the Portland Symphonic girlchoir. Lots of fun giving a mini-writing workshop for the singers and audience!  Plus I had the pleasure of grabbing a bite with Rosanne and the ever-amazing Sara of NovelNovice.com, who has authored a fantastic graphic novel biography of Hunger Games author Suzanne Collins (a must-have volume for all who love things Mockingjay!).


April 17: Hopped a plane to Houston for the A-MA-ZING 2012 Texas Library Association conference where I participated in a Texas Author Tea with the likes of (wait for it) Orson Scott Card, Deb Caletti, and so many more amazing folks. Presented on a poetry panel with Douglas Florian and Guadalupe Garcia McCall. Went to a cocktail party where I shook hands with John Green and Neal Schusterman.  Dined with Megan Walker and Allen Zadoff.  Hung out tons with Bookanista buddies Megan Miranda and Jessi Kirby.  Oh, heck, I could name-drop all day but instead I'll finish by saying that the MOST AMAZING PART of TxLA was the incredible librarians and book bloggers I met (many in person for the first time) whose passion for and support of YA brought, well, SQUEALS (oh, just ask @JessiKirby or @GReads for the embarassing details). You can also read a nice TxLA wrap-up at Mundie Moms: http://mundiemoms.blogspot.com/2012/04/in-my-mailbox-120-txla-12.html.
with Jessi & Kari of http://www.agoodaddiction.blogspot.com/

Out-of-focus pic of an amazing dinner with bloggers & fellow DEAR TEEN ME contributors.

Cowgirl hatted and ready for Texas Tea with Jessi Kirby!

With Jessi and Ginger of greadsbooks.com
With Stacey of http://www.pageturnersblog.com/

Friday evening it was back in the air and jetting west to Redmond, WA, for SCBWI Western Washington's annual spring conference to do a panel with Kiki Hamilton, Ben Clanton & Deb Lund (here are the deets: http://chinookupdate.blogspot.com/2012/04/local-success-panel-stasia-kehoe-kiki.html).

Disclaimer: This is not my ordinary life.  Or even a semi-ordinary week for me. This was insane, wild, exhausting, super-fun.  Now, I'm back home at the computer, writing and wishing for chocolate (also, a nap!).

2 comments:

Kristi said...

It definitely DOES sound like a whirlwind, albeit a fun and amazing one! One of my girlfriends just got back from TLA and had a blast...I love reading about the conferences through posts and pictures! Thanks for sharing and welcome home! :)

Stasia said...

I love reading conference posts, too, Kristi. Even though I was AT TxLA, there was so much to see, hear, do, that I couldn't catch it all and am still enjoying reading the wrap-ups in the blogosphere :)