Thursday, August 16, 2012

A WRITING TIP: Never let her go...

Okay, okay, it's a lyric from Some Enchanted Evening (Rodgers & Hammerstein, SOUTH PACIFIC) but it's something I need to remember sometimes when I'm deep into the plotting phase of a manuscript.  The cleverness of the story is nothing if I don't LOVE my main character, if I'm not there with her feeling rejection when she is rejected, sparking victory tears when she experiences a triumph.

I'm going back to my manuscript today making sure that I am holding my MC in my heart for every word, line, paragraph, and page.
PS: Because I try to be very careful about not infringing anyone's copyrights and all that, I am not including one of the myriad amazing YouTube videos of the song and its lovely lyrics but I highly reccommend you head over and search "Some Enchanted Evening South Pacific" or just go buy the spectacular original cast recording and hear Georgio Tozzi sing you a lesson about characters and love.

3 comments:

Britney Gulbrandsen said...

Good advice! You must love your MC for others to as well!

Emily said...

This is SUCH great advice! Thank you x

Stasia said...

Thanks for stopping by, Britney and Emily! Happy Writing! - Stasia