How come? Because I've learned more about the art, craft and business of developing my own writing career from SCBWI than I have even from my day job in publishing. Woking to get your own novel published is a very difficult personal journey that, for me, wouldn't have happened without SCBWI.
A few bullet points to elucidate...
- Got encouragement for my w-i-p at SCBWI Western WA's annual Great Critique.
- Attended SCBWI NYC Author Intensive last year where I met an editor who requested my ms.
- Presented at SCBWI Western WA 2010 conference where I met the awesome agent Michael Bourret who gave me a proverbial "kick-in-the-pants" and told me to start submitting my stuff.
- Received several offers of agency representation and turned to fellow SCBWI-ers for decision-making advice.
- Found my new critique group through SCBWI and am now at work on a new novel with their wonderful support.