Monday, March 14, 2011

Back to Business Monday: Amazon's Author Central

In the frenzy of everything that's been going on with my debut novel, I feel like I've really gotten away from Back-to-Business Monday posts.  Over the years, I've written quite a bit on school and library marketing issues, writing reading guides and promotional materials, and other topics related to my day-job in publishing.  While I'd like to continue to provide this type of information, I'm also learning so many new things along my publishing journey that I'd like to share.  So, I'm going to do two things:

1. Archive my School & Library Marketing posts so that they're more accessible (look out for this soon).

2. Get back to "Back-to-Business Mondays" with a focus on sharing some of the interesting new things I'm learning from the writer side of the fence.  I'm going to try to start each post with a question.  Here's today's:

What do you do when your book cover suddenly appears on Amazon and, in the information beside the cover, your author name is listed as "Louise"?

If you're me, you start by giggling a little and thinking how "Louise Kehoe" really doesn't sound so bad.

Then you get a headache.

Then you cyber-wail-and-moan to your writer-friends in the blogosphere, who tell you to get in touch with Amazon's Author Central.  And you do.  And they fix it.  Which is very nice.
I'm just learning about Amazon's Author Central features.  I mean, as soon as I saw that my cover was up, I signed up to be an Amazon Author so that I could upload a photo, bio, etc.  To avail yourself of all of the features, Amazon has to confirm that you are who you are with your publisher.  When this took over a week, I requested a call from Author Central--took about 10 seconds to get connected--and they fixed this, too.  I was very impressed by how responsive and helpful they are--even to a lowly debut novelist like me!

8 comments:

Christine Tyler said...

Oh cool! I'm so glad they could fix it super-quick. This must be such an exciting process for you!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Be sure to take some time out from the whirlwind surrounding your book to smell some roses and do some things to allow you to catch up and enjoy life.

AimeeLSalter said...

This is me sighing and imagining the day when any 'Author Central' environment includes me....

I really enjoy hearing about writer journeys, please tell more! :)

Dawn Simon said...

Thanks for sharing all this stuff. Dang, I didn't know anything about Amazon's Author Central. Sounds cool!

storyqueen said...

Louise??? Seriously? That's not even close to your name....

I am glad you got it all fixed.

Shelley

Stasia said...

Don't sigh too much, Aimee. Just keep writing! Took me 20 years to get to tell this story and I signed a few times but the ride has been worth it (even the rejections!).
Yeah, Dawn, I'm learning a LOT of stuff lately. Author Central is just the beginning.
And hi there, Shelley! Your friend, Louise :)

Stasia said...

Oh, and thanks for stopping by Michael and Christine. It's such fun to share these stories in the blogosphere!

Cathy said...

I'm glad they fixed it for you, and thank you for sharing this information. When I need it, I'll know where to find it.