Saturday, September 24, 2011

Banned Books Week has begun!


Recently, I was contact by a parent who was worried because she had purchased her son a copy of THE HUNGER GAMES only to discover it was on a banned books list.  She wanted to know if I thought her son would get in trouble for reading it at school.  After reassuring her that this would not be the case (and, if it was, half the class would be slammed for that one while the other half got caught reading Twilight!), I just sat back and thought, wow.  Suzanne Collins has written a wonderfully-crafted, exciting read that, in my opinion, is also a terrific piece of social commentary on our current obsession with reality television.  The recent suicide of a cast-member-adjacent personality from the "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" (I shirk to even write the title in this post since I'm embarassed to know it) shows me how prescient Collins' novel really was. 

So, anyhow, I'd just like to know how many folks who get on the book-banning wagon watch Jersey Shore or Survivor or the aforemention rich-ladies-with-big-houses-insulting-each-other-show.

DON'T LET OTHERS TELL YOU
WHAT TO THINK!
GO READ A BANNED BOOK TODAY
(Okay, that was me telling you what to do--sorry, just consider it a suggestion)

1 comment:

Laura S. said...

Yay for all books!!! I don't watch reality shows (actually, I hardly watch TV at all). They seem so ridiculous! I really think people become dumber from watching them, LoL. Happy Banned Books Week!!!