Tuesday, January 14, 2014

About Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sometimes, when I realize I have been clicking around the cyberverse for too long, I glance to the right of the computer monitor where I keep this quote from OWH:


"Most people go to their graves
with their music still inside them."


There are many variations of this quote and I'm not sure which is most correct. Here's a longer version: "Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it time runs out.”  Length aside, Holmes's comment has held pride of place on my writing desk for ages. Reading it reminds me to take a deep breath, disable my internet connection, and go back to trying to put music on the page--to MAKE something instead of just reading, researching, linking to or commenting on it.

No comments: